8/18/2005

On viruses

I run an iMac at home. I get no spyware. No adware. No viruses. None. Zilch. Nada. The good people at Apple have ensured that their operating system is as secure as possible. Obviously, fewer people and companies use Apples than use Windows, but the problems mentioned above just don't exist for me, period. The world of Microsoft is strange, indeed. How many times are we forced to download some security patch or another? Once a week? To plug up some security problem that Windows didn't bother to get right in the first place. And XP has been out - what, for about 2-3 years now? Sure, I have to download the occasional security patch for OSX, but it's much rarer. Much. It's just somewhat astonishing in this day and age to have a network of sites crash because some fucking geek was able to write a virus that can infiltrate and disable networks running Win2000 all around the world. Obviously, I'm no power user and I know very little about what I'm talking about when it comes to this shit. But that's why we pay Microsoft the big bucks for those operating systems, isn't it? So that their power user brilliant geniuses don't leave our shit vulnerable like this, right? I was teetering between replacing my antiquated laptop with a cheapo win-based machine. I just might go checkout the cheaper iBooks now.

No comments: