9/22/2004

The politics of fear and division

Back during the Democratic Conventions, during which I was taking a break from this blog, I was astounded that there was some sort of expectation that the speakers avoid criticizing Bush by name. I mean, what's the bloody point? If Kodak can compare itself to Agfa and Coke can compare itself to Pepsi, why the hell can't Kerry, or speakers on Kerry's behalf, compare Kerry to Bush? Unfortunately, the Convention turned into an episode of "This is Your Life" with Kerry going on and on about Vietnam, and how things he's done and will do coincide with his experiences in Vietnam. Not for nothing, but Vietnam is beside the point. I was 6 or 7 years old when the US evacuated South Vietnam for good. I was born months after the Tet Offensive. Vietnam is not exactly etched in my memory or psyche. I thought Kerry gave a good speech, but he missed some golden opportunities to really compare himself, and his policies to Bush. I think the campaign realizes its mistake now, and is correcting it well. Anyway, during the GOP convention, I don't rememeber anyone suggesting that the GOP shouldn't hammer away at Kerry. Indeed, that's exactly what they did. Well, this graf, courtesy of the NY Times, The GOP speakers concentrated on Freedom, Kerry and War. Kerry's name was uttered 86 times. The Democratic speakers concentrated on Health Care, Jobs, Strength, and War. Bush was only mentioned nineteen times.

No comments: