10/21/2004

Red Sox Nation, Rejoice

The BuffaloPundit lived in Boston, Mass. from about 1986 - 2001 (with the exception of 1991-1994). Although I grew up a Yankee fan, I grew to appreciate the Sox around the time of my return in 1994. (I rooted for the Mets in 1986). Each year, my appreciation and devotion to the Team that Never Could has grown exponentially. Last year's heartbreak was not unexpected - I go into every series, every game, assuming that they would lose. The best defense against a broken heart. Well, last night I turned the game off at around 10:00. The Sox were up 8-1, but I wasn't secure in the knowledge that they would win. I was a bit hopeful, but by no means certain. Sox fans just don't have that Yankee swagger. I knew that I would wake up this morning and either be unexpectedly elated, or predictably disappointed. I expected the latter. Well, well, well, was I ever surprised. I definitely think either some sort of mythical curse was lifted for the Sox, or else one was imposed on the Yankees. How fitting to come back from a 3-game deficit, to win 4 in a row (unprecedented), and win the 7th game of the series on the birthday of ... number 7. Rejoice, Red Sox Nation, rejoice. Hopefully, politically, on November 3rd, we'll all feel the way I feel right now. Thank you Johnny Damon, David Ortiz, Curt Schilling & Derek Lowe. (Thanks to Fark for the pix.)

No comments: