10/07/2003

President Ramble

Does President Bush come with subtitles? "This is a town where a lot of people leak, and I've constantly expressed my displeasure with leaks, particularly of classified information. I hope we can get this investigation done in a thorough way, as quickly as possible." Did he really say "a lot of people leak"? He's also saying that he is "displeased" by felonious disclosure of classified, sensitive, national security information. He hopes that the Justice Department's "investigation" goes quickly; i.e., he hopes they get it over with fast. "You tell me: how many sources have you had that's leaked information, that you've exposed or had been exposed? Probably none...I don't know if we're going to find out the senior administration official. I don't have any idea. I'd like to. I want to know the truth." edit: NOW I get it. It's that screwy "English syntax" again. What Bush fails to realize is that we don't have to rely on Novak to reveal his source: the source is a senior official in his own administration. Presumably, if Bush really cared about this leak, heads would have been rolling already, seeing as how the leak was reported in July 2003. Furthermore, law professor/blogger Eugene Volokh has already documented here exactly how Novak could be compelled to reveal his source, or go to jail. In his second pronouncement, Bush basically says that we'll never know who gave Valerie Plame's name and identity to Bob Novak. Mwua ha ha ha ha ha ha. "This is a large administration and there's a lot of senior officials." Ignoring for a moment Bush's minimal grammatical grasp, he's basically saying that the White House staff is gosh-darn big, and boy howdy it's going to be hard to *gulp* question all of them. I honestly don't know why this guy gets any credit whatsoever for being Mr. Homeland Security. "I have no idea whether we'll find out who the leaker is, partially because, in all due respect to your profession, you do a very good job of protecting the leakers," While ignoring the law concerning non-disclosure of confidential news sources, Bush's remark begs the question: why are we depending on Bob Novak to withhold/reveal his source? Why can't the White House get to the bottom of this. After all, it's know about it since July 14, 2003. That's three months, to you and me. Adding a note of optimism, Bush said, "But we'll find out." Bush says: "I have no idea whether we'll find out who the leaker is...but we'll find out." Don't forget, kids: This is the leader of the free world talking. Ugh, I have a headache from all this "accountability" and from the "grownups" being back in charge. (Update: I finally figured out what Bush meant about "how many sources have you had that's leaked information...", and react accordingly. )

No comments: