4/07/2005

Dead Horses

David Torke from Fix Buffalo says that I should stop beating a dead horse. This coming from a guy with a one-issue blog. It is wrong to detain American citizens simply because they (1) look Muslim; (2) have Muslim-sounding names; or (3) attended a conference in Canada on religion. It's a shame that this sort of abuse of civil liberty is considered a "dead horse" by some. Pastor Niemoeller on dead horses:
Als die Nazis die Kommunisten holten, habe ich geschwiegen; ich war ja kein Kommunist. Als sie die Sozialdemokraten einsperrten, habe ich geschwiegen; ich war ja kein Sozialdemokrat. Als sie die Gewerkschafter holten, habe ich nicht protestiert; ich war ja kein Gewerkschafter. Als sie die Juden holten, habe ich nicht protestiert; ich war ja kein Jude. Als sie mich holten, gab es keinen mehr, der protestierte.
When the Nazis arrested the Communists, I said nothing; after all, I was not a Communist. When they locked up the Social Democrats, I said nothing; after all, I was not a Social Democrat. When they arrested the trade unionists, I said nothing; afterall, I was not a trade unionist. When they arrested the Jews, I said nothing; after all, I was not a Jew. When they arrested me, there was no longer anyone who could protest.
All in all, to me, these sorts of dead horses are a bunch more important than a vacant house.

No comments: